Friday, June 17, 2005

A Rousing Farewell

Amidst wintry weather, tears, laughter, and cries, all our family and loved ones gathered yesterday at the Chapel of the Chimes in Oakland to say farewell to Grandpa Art. If ever there was a happy, upbeat memorial, this was it. I think Grandpa would have loved every second of it -- even the rain.

We got to the chapel right before the service started, and had a few moments to visit with people and introduce them to Baby. The chapel was beautiful. Windows, candles, and huge floral arrangements everywhere. Christian graciously offered to do "Baby Duty" while I sat up front with the fam. The minister, Mr. Bell, was a tall African American gentleman with a wide smile and a brilliant green robe. He was fantastic! Gramps was anything but religious; in fact, he relished picking on church-goers and other religious folk his entire life, so finding the "right" minister for the service was a tough one. Luckily, Mr. Bell gave the service all the humor, light-heartedness, and gratitude (and none of the Bible-speak) that Grandpa would have enjoyed.

What I loved best about this memorial was the interactiveness. It was all about Gramps' family and friends. Pam, Dale, my mom, and I shared memories of his life. Then his coworkers, neighbors, and other friends got up to share their thoughts. Almost everyone mentioned Gramps' penchant for building and taking apart electronics and figuring out how to work every tool under the sun. Words like "transformer, " "power pack," and "oscilloscope" peppered every description of him, and I think he was very pleased about it, wherever he was! Right around speech #1, my dear Ronan, who hadn't napped at all, decided he was just too tired for this whole thing. From the front row, I could hear the familiar whine escalating into the cough, which always turns into a wail! Quick like a bunny, Christian whisked him out the back, thinking the door would block the sound. But our son has some serious vocal cords and lung power and his cries punctuated the rest of the speeches! It didn't help that the stroller -- with the diaper bag, blanket, etc. -- was left inside the chapel. It also didn't help that I had the car keys -- and I was sitting in the front row. And Ronan had managed to lose one sock. And it was windy and raining outside... So no one could blame our little screamer. Besides, I think Gramps would've found the added soundtrack pretty amusing.

We buried Grandpa at the top of the mountain, overlooking a breathtaking vista of the bay, both bridges, and the setting sun. I don't think there's a more beautiful spot in the whole Bay Area. After a quick feeding and diaper change at Grandma Kathy's house, we joined everyone at Jade Villa for a yummy Chinese banquet. As I looked around at all the tables, I was amazed to think that I'm related to all these people! There must have been at least 60 smiling, laughing faces. How wonderful. Family rocks.

I can't think of a better way to say Thank You, I Love You, and I'll Miss You to a man who meant the world to me!

No comments: