Thursday, May 11, 2006

Sonoma Sans Baby!


Rejuvenated parents

Hard to believe but last weekend was the FIRST time since Ronan was born 13.5 months ago that we got away together without him. Christian surprised me, and I have to admit I was really apprehensive about leaving Ronan for the night. But -- it was the most fantastic trip! C didn't tell me where we were heading. I thought we might be going wine-tasting, except... where were all the wineries? Just when I thought we were completely lost, he pulled into the grounds of the Sonoma Mission Inn and told the valet we were checking in. I almost screamed! For those who don't know, the Sonoma Mission Inn is simply heaven on earth. I have always wanted to go there, and now that I've been, I can only think of going back! It's immaculate, luxurious, soooo relaxing. I almost didn't want to leave our room! The room had a deck, a fireplace, and best of all, a jacuzzi with bath salts. Even the hotel shampoo/soap collecton was amazing -- we smelled of apricots and cream all weekend. After checking in, we went to the spa (in our soft comfy robes), which was hands-down the most wonderful spa ever, with multiple indoor and outdoor pools, fresh fruits, water infused with lemons and limes, and this odd feeling of being in a perfect, zen-like world. We even got a couples massage (points for Christian for arranging this!). It was funny... There was a wedding happening at the hotel, and we were one of the many happy strangers traipsing by the cocktail hour in bathrobes and slippers on our way to the spa.

Later that evening, C took me to dinner at Domaine Chandon, which felt like a Renoir painting, with the pond and trees with twinkling lights. Neither of us are champagne lovers (shocking), but we really enjoyed the Pinot Meunier. The whole experience was divine.




The walkway leading up to Domaine Chandon

The next morning, Sunday, we had breakfast at the nearby diner (lemon cottage cheese pancakes... mmm) and then went wine tasting in Napa. It's really sad, but the last time we went to Napa was with Kristine... like 5 or 6 years ago! It was fun to visit Peju again (yummy Provence) and Dean and Deluca and drive by all the wineries we loved visiting when we first moved in together back in '98. All in all, it was a a truly decadent and rejuvenating birthday weekend. Knowing Ronan was having fun with Grandma K at home made it so much easier for us to have a real couples getaway (thanks, Mom!). Cannot wait to do it again! :-)

No comments: