Friday, September 07, 2007

Ronan Goes to School!

Ronan started preschool this week and it was a huge step for all of us. In spite of a bad cold that Mom caught (and then gave to Ronan), his first two days at school were wonderful! He did so well and we are incredibly proud of him for taking on this new adventure with enthusiasm and joy.

A little about his school: He is attending Stepping Stones Preschool in the Inner Sunset three full days a week, from about 7:30/8:00 am to 5:30/6:00 pm. It's a long day and I was worried about him being okay with that. But it's no different than Grandma Kathy or his nanny taking care of him for 10-11 hours a day, only at school there are 6 teachers and lots of little kids to interact with! I never worried about R crying with us leaving -- he's not that kind of kid. He's so independent that I had to remind him on his first day that Mommy was leaving and would be back later! But being the worried mom that I am, I made sure the teachers all knew that he had never been in a school or daycare setting before, hasn't been exposed to school "rules" and dynamics before, etc. The teachers assured me (as I'm sure they have assured many, many worried parents before me) that he'd be just fine.

Turns out he learned the preschool way o' life pretty quickly that first day: how to line up with the other kids, wash his hands before and after eating, sit at a table with his classmates, and lie down on a cot for his nap. He didn't nap at all the first day, but he napped for 2 hours on his second day. He even learned how to hold onto the long looped rope that all the two-year-olds hold on to when they go for walks to Golden Gate Park. The teachers put Ronan in the front of the pack since they said he "pulls hard." Tee hee.

We really like his teachers, Miss Kang and Miss Lucy, as well as the other four teachers who interact with all the kids. They're so patient and caring with the two-year-olds, and the kids seem to adore them. What I'm learning to appreciate about the ethos of the school is the focus on good manners and respect, in addition to the space and time for kids to be kids. The teachers treat everyone very lovingly, but they don't indulge the kids or let them get away with being rude. I think Ronan's sweetness AND exuberance will flourish here. When Ronan and I left the building after his first day, he smiled and called out, "BYE! THANK YOU!" to all the teachers, and then told me softly, "Nini loves Miss Kang." It was the sweetest thing.

I should say that Ronan's first day of school was relatively easy for him, but heartbreaking for ME! For some reason (maybe it's the pregnancy hormones), I was an emotional wreck as I took him to school and watched him listen to the teachers and play "police cars" with the other kids. It was a bittersweet moment of pride, intense mama love, and a longing for him to stay pure and whole and unhurt. It was probably a good thing that he wasn't attached to me at all as he got settled in his classroom. If he had been blubbering "Mommy, don't go!" I probably would have scooped him up and taken him straight back home! As it was, I kissed him goodbye, and spent the next hour sobbing in my car and at home, feeling such an unusual mixture of love and loss. My baby is growing up and going out into the world!

So, since he didn't nap at all that first day, he promptly fell asleep on the sofa while I was getting his dinner ready. Here is our l'il man, all worn out after his first day of school!

No comments: