Friday, October 20, 2006

Mommy Day

I spent the day at home with Ronan today -- a Mommy & Son day. So rare is it that he and I spend the entire day together, from sun-up to sundown. I'm struck by that rareness, and I relish these moments. I am delighted that he has had our nanny and his Grandma Kathy to care for him throughout the week, every week, since he was 3-1/2 months old. He certainly doesn't suffer from being too attached to his parents! And since I love my job, and Christian loves his, this has been a wonderful arrangement for all of us. It makes me treasure even more these "mommy days" when we do everything together -- play, walk, eat, nap, draw, bathe, learn, laugh, and hug. On days like today, I know how lucky I am to have this healthy happy boy and to share in the delights of his world.

What did we do today? Well, we started with a poopy diaper, of course. Then we ate a nice breakfast of Weetabix, milk, yogurt, and banana, and had another poopie. We played with the toy car and the blocks. We explored the cords by the computer. We pretended to talk on the phone. We played with Daddy's headset and the AC adapter. Then we napped for 1.5 hours!

We picked at our lunch of Irish stew, grilled cheese sandwich, and sliced pear. Then, it was off to the Post Office and hardware store (where we waved at everyone, even the passing cars). Then it was Zoo Time! On such a gorgeous sunny day, the SF Zoo is the place to be. We watched the flamingos while snacking on pear, cheerios, and milk. Then we spent most of the time in the Children's Zoo, laughing at the goats and sheep, chasing the ducks, riding the tractors, and drawing in the barn. And raking, of course! While raking, an older boy came by and took Ronan's rake. I watched to see what he would do (he doesn't often experience these situations). Well, instead of crying or grabbing it back or running to me, Ronan turned on his heel, marched across the yard to the stack of rakes, grabbed a new one, and came back to where he was, all within a few seconds. I was so proud of his resourcefulness and resilience! He kept on raking, oblivious to the other boy who was waiting for a reaction.

At home, we had another soiled nappy (of course!) and then a nice, long two-hour afternoon nap. We got up just in time for dinner. First course: Babybel cheese. Main course: A big bowl of rotini, turkey, ricotta, and marinara sauce. Side: Green beans. Dessert: Peaches. After supper, with a round protruding tummy, we rode the Radio Flyer, played DJ with the stereo/cds, read books, and played the drums (wooden spoons) on all the hard surfaces that we could find. Our fourth poop of the day led us straight to the bath. For the first time in several weeks, he let me brush his teeth without a fuss. After zipping him into his PJs, we read Good Night Moon and I Love My Daddy twice each... and then he reached for his crib and Lambie. Ronan was asleep in about 20 seconds!

No comments: