Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Dawning Desires

Ronan is gradually figuring out what holidays are (in the material sense). I'm so amazed at this acculturation/socialization process, which seems to be such a big part of American childhood, something inescapable when a kid starts school. Just six months ago, he had no idea about Halloween, Christmas, Santa Claus, presents, and the whole "expectation" of gifts. He still doesn't know what candy or chocolate is (and he won't for awhile), but he's very keen on asking for presents now and telling us what he wants for Christmas! I don't think preschoolers have a clear idea of "later" but we're trying to instill in him that patience is a really wonderful thing.... If he's a good boy (whatever that means, to him!) and if he is nice to himself and other people, then, we say, he just MIGHT get that cement truck!

In any case, his daily conversations are now peppered with "I want the cement truck for Christmas, Daddy!" and "I want a scooter, Mommy" and "I want Mommy buy skateboard!" and "Can I have a garbage truck, please?" It's touching that these things are supremely important to him. He spends his time at home going to great lengths to be bulldozer drivers, carpenters, doctors, garbage truck operators (who knew the laundry hamper could double as a garbage truck?), and of course policemen and firemen.

An interesting new pretend role, which I think he picked up at school, is Nini the Hairdresser and Nini the Nail Painter. He loves asking me to sit down while he blowdries my hair and paints my nails lovely shades of... blue, green, and yellow.

And now for some fall '07 pictures!


If there is anything that Ronan has a hard time giving up, it's being the Driver. Here he is at the Children's Discovery Museum in Sausalito, driving (and looking mighty serious about it) one of the boats at the Clifford exhibit. He is mid-ear-infection in this pic, poor Roni...


My Bennett men in shades at the SF Zoo in early October


One of Ro's favorite animals


Ro had no problem mounting this lion statue. He's terrified of the real ones, though!


On Ronan's favorite zoo attraction - the Train. (And yes, Mama is definitely growing bigger!)


Ronan's joy and anticipation while waiting for the train to start


So Ronan actually took these pictures. Really! He commandeered the digital cam from Daddy as we got off the zoo train and took over 60 pictures as we walked from the train to the car! The ones above are a sampling. You can see his and Daddy's shadows in a few of them. It's so sweet to see his unique choices of subject matter.

No comments: